Kaden's preschool went on a field trip to Classic Skating in Layton last week. I've thought about taking the kids there, but after the ice skating fiasco (see previous blog if you missed that), I didn't want to take the kids until they were older. But then it was his field trip. I got my little sister, Natalie, to come over and babysit the girls so I could focus on Kaden and help him have a good experience rollerskating for the first time.
What I didn't know was that in the 10+ years since I've been to Classic, they've expanded it from just the rollerskating rink. It's a kids paradise now.
![]() |
| Slide! |
![]() |
| Obstacle course |
![]() |
| Punching bags (well, they were after Kaden got to them...) |
I couldn't believe how much fun it is for little kids! Kaden and his buddies from class played at the Pirates Cove for about an hour, and then I was the mean mom and forced him to try rollerskating (when else will it be free?). He was so, so nervous and kept referencing the ice skating incident, but I assured him this wouldn't be the same. Mainly because my attention was solely on him.
I got a video of him, but I'll upload it to Facebook instead of here because I'm worried about space issues. But the video is hilarious. He uses the walker thing like a 90 year old man; scoots forward a foot, then slowly skate-slides towards it. But at the end of the video, Kaden looks up with a huge smile and says, "I'm getting really good!" That made it all worth it.
After a painstakingly long 15 minutes to go ONCE around the rink, Kaden wanted to get back to the Pirates Cove. As he was taking his skates off, we saw his teacher, Ms. Brinkerhoff, lacing up. She was nervous-ish and talking to another teacher about how she didn't want to fall on her face. With confidence from his time around the rink, Kaden walked over to her and pointed to his walker, saying, "Don't worry, Ms. B! It's EASY!" (I laughed at that.) Then he said, "Do you want to use my walker?" Cutest kid ever!
![]() |
| Ms. B is the green shirt furthest on the left. |
She got a few helping hands and only fell down once. Everyone was laughing the whole time we were all there. I can't decide if the kids had more fun or if the adults did.





Those kid walkers are a life saver. It makes roller skating totally worth it. I love that he offered his walker to an adult. haha
ReplyDelete