Another soccer post. Sorry! And just a warning, since this is MY blog, I'm going to be doing some serious bragging about my son in the upcoming post.
Kaden's game last week was interesting. Because the region he's in does the stupid, ridiculous, absurd, pointless jamboree style, he's never had the same coach or team. They both change each week and I hate it. BUT, this past week something unique happened. Fate was on our side and Kaden actually got paired up with a coach he had the week before, and the week before that, the same coach was the coach of the opposing team from Kaden. So, basically, the guy had seen Kaden play twice before. What I didn't realize is that the guy had been paying attention to Kaden.
The guy, Brett, is a really, really good soccer player. He was talking to me during warm-ups about the type of cleats Kaden has (he was impressed because they're Italian and apparently a really good brand that won't fall apart), then he showed off his footwork for his son. Anyway, when he found out Kaden was on his team, he was really excited. Usually, since the coaches change each week, the adults don't know their players' names and since all the kids are #12, it makes it really hard to coach.
![]() |
| Brett's in the red shirt |
The game started and I didn't think anything of it, really. Until I noticed that Kaden was being kept in the game a lot more than he normally is. The other players (including Brett's own son) were being rotated normally so everyone got their fair share of playing time, but Kaden barely ever sat out.
At one point in the third quarter, Kaden ran over to me to get a drink and Brett came over saying, "Are you okay, Kaden?" Kaden nodded with a mouthful of water. Brett said, "Come back and play! You're my superstar! I need you!" Kaden, of course, smiled huge, and ran back out. That kid never gets tired of running when there's a soccer ball involved. ;)
It wasn't until after that "superstar" comment, however, that I noticed not only how much playing time Kaden was getting, but also that Brett had had Kaden do almost every single throw in for the team (with the little kids, there are a lot).
Kaden can throw really far, which is probably why Brett kept choosing him. After the game, Brett mentioned a couple of things to me to work on with Kaden saying that if Kaden got those things down, he'd be golden and nothing could stop him. Guess I'd better invest in one of those canopy things, 'cause we've got a lot of soccer in our future. :)






That's awesome! Soccer mom in the making. I'm glad he loves it.
ReplyDelete