Saturday, March 1, 2014

Animal week

I've mentioned before that Kaden's school, Voyage, is a hands-on learning school. I absolutely love this about Voyage and it has helped Kaden learn so much.

The last week and a half, the kids got to do a report on any animal of their choice. In class, they got to see pictures of different animals from around the world. Kaden was so excited to do his report and worked really hard on it. He chose a jaguar.

 


 I volunteer in his classroom every other Friday for the full two hours they are in class, and yesterday I just happened to be there for the 100th day of school celebration as well as the last day of their reports. Well, Voyage is all about hands-on learning, so for the last day of the reports, Voyage had a camel, zebra, and a zonkey in the parking lot! (Zonkey=mom was a donkey, dad a zebra)

The camel's name was Moses and he was HUGE.


Waiting to see the zebra and zonkey.
 The zebra and zonkey had to stay in the trailer. They were a bit more wild than the camel and like to bite and kick.

The zebra was gorgeous!

Zonkey!
The kids (and adults) all got a turn petting the camel.



His fur was sooooo thick! 
The owner said that Moses was warmer than any of the kids with their snow coats on. Kaden was nervous and didn't want to touch the camel, so I literally had to pick him up and force his hand to touch the camel. Drama, drama, drama.

 

After the wild animal excitement, we got the kids back inside to work on their 100 days project.
It was so cool for the kids to be able to see a couple of the animals they had been learning about the last week. I'm glad I was able to be there and be a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome school! Good for you for volunteering too! Kaden is becoming a great artist. Really, he's getting good!

    ReplyDelete