Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Men

I've never once in my life bitten my fingernails.  The first time I ever knew that was an option was when the girl (Hayley Mills) did it in The Parent Trap.  My nails are super thick, so it never would've worked for me, but I still thought it was gross.

And then I married a man who never knew that clippers were an option.

Ugh.

At the end of February, Shane bit off more than he should have and it ripped off at a weird angle (no, I don't feel bad for him) and as a result, got an ingrown nail.  But here's the problem, he didn't do anything about it except throw a band-aid on it.  Two days later, he took the band-aid off and found this:


Super red and swollen.

I told him it was obviously infected and why didn't he notice sooner?!

He said, "I was worried about it the first day, but then it went numb, so I figured it was healing."

Oh my gosh you guys.  Seriously.  Let me introduce you to my fourth child.

Grrr.  I literally forced him to go to the doctor, but since he had to wait a day, I went and bought medical tape and neosporin for him.  He used the tape to pull the skin away from his nail (didn't hurt because IT. WAS. NUMB.) and he said that a whole bunch of puss just oozed out.  He wiped it away (I'm seriously surprised he didn't puke) and repeated that three more times until the puss stopped coming.  I was so mad that he didn't let me see it!  When I worked in physical therapy and we had trama patients come in, cleaning the wound was the best part (apart from the smell - gag).  Yes, I know I'm weird and should have been a nurse.  ;)

Anyway, by the time he went to the doctor, the finger was less swollen and red, but I still made him go.  The doc said to keep up the good work and to also soak it in warm water with Epsom salt.

Only half of his nail went black (lucky him) and a very large portion of his skin around his nail peeled off.  I told him he's lucky he didn't lose a thumb.

2 comments: