Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The new dentist

For two straight weeks, Kaden would complain about his teeth hurting (always at dinner time, but he loves food, so he wasn't trying to get out of eating), so I scheduled him with a new dentist.  I was so, so sad to leave our other one, but switching insurances sucks.

I looked at a ton of pediatric dentists online, and the one I choose had the coolest office. ('Cause, seriously, if my kids walk in and feel right at home, the visit will go SO much better!)

Video game station
The paintings were all stunning!  Whoever did them did an amazing job!  There were Disney and Pixar paintings all over and they even did A Bug's Life characters to scale.  So cool!

Hopper
 
"I'm a little butterfly..."




The visit went really well.  The hygienist showed us around the office (Kelly watched my two girls which really helped me focus on calming Kaden down.  Thanks Kell!!) and Kaden went silent when she showed up.  He whined through x-rays (in their Buzz Lightyear themed x-ray room), but still did them, which is a good step for him.

No cavities showed up on the x-rays, but what did show up is that Kaden is teething!

Guys, I know this makes me sound horrible, but I had NO idea about the 6 year molars.  I thought the next molars came in at 12!  Anyway, the dentist, Dr. Brett, said that Kaden's molars had already pushed through the jaw bone (OUCH!) and were basically through the gum tissue now (which is why Kaden's been in so much pain).  Kaden had NO cavities!!  

Dr. Brett was awesome!  He came out and immediately saw Kaden's spiderman shirt and started talking superheros with Kaden.  It was adorable and by the end of the visit, Kaden wouldn't STOP talking to Dr. Brett.  The hygienist was shocked and I was laughing.  Just gotta talk to boys about what interests them, honey.  ;)

It's great that Kaden's molars are in now, but the problem is his lower front teeth's roots are still really long and strong.  Dr. Brett said they won't be coming out for at least 9 months, but probably closer to a year.  Kaden was so sad because he checks for wiggly teeth every day.  But this all means that there will be spacing issues.  Yay (not).  As soon as his front 8 teeth are out, we'll need to take him to an orthodontist to get some spacing stuff going on or else we'll be in big trouble later.

It was a great visit with great people who work there.  I'm excited to take the girls in next week for their cleanings!  (It will be Ari's first!)  There is a princess room, so I'm pretty sure Lexi won't want to leave.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that office looks awesome! I'm glad it was just teething. At least Liz and Kaden can lose their teeth at the same time since she will hang on to hers forever too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about 6 year molars either until you said something about it on Facebook. Just last night as I was brushing Halle's teeth I noticed a molar poking through. She felt it and said, "Oh, that's why it always hurts back there." She had never told me it hurt before, so that was news to me. But I was so glad you said something on FB because I had NO idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't know, either?! That makes me feel so much better! I thought I was the only one! I'm glad Halle doesn't complain about the pain, though. Lots of fun to go through teething when I thought we were all done.

      Delete