Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Weekend of dread

Shane had a four day weekend over Memorial weekend last month, so I had set those days aside a couple of months ago to finally potty train Ari. I knew I had to suck it up because it was time. Shane and I spent the week before preparing. The house was clean and laundry caught up, we had large amounts of clean underwear for Ari, a sticker chart, treats, and plenty of drinks for her. Shane rolled the rug up the day before (cleaning pee off of a hardwood floor is much easier than carpet!) and we were ready to go. We also had Clorox wipes, paper towels, and regular towels stacked on the couch for when we'd need them. After Kaden and Lexi, we're pros with potty training. I had to take Kaden to school that Friday, but I told Shane we'd start when I got back. 

I got home with Kaden around 10:45 and Ari was already in a t-shirt and underwear. Shane had started already and had her "throw away" her diapers (in a bin where we still have them in case we need them). He said it had been an hour and nothing had happened, but I checked and all he gave her was water. LAME. I got her some juice AND chocolate milk and she started chugging. 

Maybe 30 minutes later, Ari's eyes got really wide and she urgently said, "I NEED TO GO POTTY!" As I excitedly squealed, "RUN TO THE BATHROOM!" I looked down at the floor under her and it was still dry, much to my (and Shane's) surprise. Well, it turned out that not only did she make it to the toilet, she had time to move the step stool over and lift the lid up. What the? Shane and I were shocked at her bladder control and cheered for her and did the sticker chart thing, but we were still expecting accidents to start any minute.

As the day progressed, she did AMAZING. Not one accident (even during naptime)! Ari kept saying, "I'm so pwoud I can do dat!" It was adorable. Nighttime came, though, and I knew what I had to do. I woke her up an hour after she fell asleep and had her sit on the toilet. She kept sleepily saying, "I don't need to go potty." And she didn't. The next morning, I woke up early to wake her up early to go and, again, she kept saying that she didn't need to go. She sat on the toilet a little longer than normal, but she eventually went (she could have held it, though), then went back to bed.

Saturday we were feeling so confident about her being accident free that we went to RC Willey for hot dogs and soda for lunch.

Our big girl!



Playing with the chairs in electronics while Daddy window-shops.
 She was still doing amazing, so we decided to go to the Sprint store to get new phones. We were there for a couple of hours and she only needed to go potty once. There's not a public restroom, but the employees saw her "dancing" and quickly opened up their restroom for her use. It was hilarious because she held it the whole time and, again, still had time to spare, but when she sat down and started going she sighed and said, "Whew! That was close!" hahaha

She was bawling when we left the store because we didn't buy her a new cell phone.
Sunday went just as smoothly, even with going to church. I made sure her teachers came and got me in between their classes, though, so I could take her to the bathroom just in case. Anyway, by Sunday afternoon Shane and I had stopped waiting for the accidents to start and started realizing all of our kids were now potty trained! 

If I could do it over with the other two and wait until they were 3 1/2 to potty train them, I totally would. SOOO worth it! Not one accident and no headaches on mom's part! LOVED it! She made it so easy for us! Now it's been almost a month since I've had to change a diaper!! WOO!!!!

1 comment:

  1. So awesome!!! Sometimes I want to take parenting books (like how to potty train in three days, blah, blah, blah) and throw it at the author's head. 3 1/2 is where it's at. So much easier.

    ReplyDelete